Processes & Capabilities
Our capabilities, expertise and global footprint provide the resources needed to match your requirements with the most efficient and effective manufacturing process.
We formulate, engineer and process most any type of rubber in a range of sizes and geometries to provide quality solutions that solve specific customer challenges.
Molding & Extrusion
- Natural Rubber
- Nitrile (NBR, HNBR, XNBR)
- Thermoset Composites
- Custom Formulations
Cost-effective process; great for molding all-rubber & fabric-inserted products with simple geometries such as diaphraghms
- Able to process nearly any type of elastomer
- Part sizes as small as 1 gram to as large as 1 ton
- Combined, Wabtec Elastomers has more than 500 compression molding presses at its facilities
- Product examples: diaphragms, backing cushions, transmission couplings
Well-suited for steel-inserted, or all-rubber products having moderate-to-complex shapes or cross sections
- Only one prep is required - regardless of the # of cavities in the mold
- Cure time is less than compression molding
- Less flash / waste on the molded parts; easier to trim
- Wide range of part sizes are possible
- Product examples: steering column boots, isolators, plugs
Good option for high-volume, steel-inserted or all-rubber products having moderate-to-complex shapes or cross sections
- Quicker cure time allows for high-volume production
- Most machine operations & processes can be automated
- Product examples: exhaust hangers, umbrella valves, check valves
An effective solution for automated, high-volume production of small parts such as consumer goods, electronics & plumbing seals
- Ideal for parts less than 2” diameter
- Scalable production
- Unsurpassed quality and consistency
- Automated high speed digital part inspection
Standard & customized large scale extruded profiles
- Extruded profiles with cross sectional ranges of 2” – 18” (cylindrical) and 2” – 20” (flat)
- Standard line product applications include: Dock Fenders, Snowplow Blades & Skirtboards
- Custom extruded profiles also available
Cost effective alternative to molding for low production volumes
- Supported and unsupported elements from 1” to 30’ long in a range of diameters
- Autoclave curing (30” high x 52’ long or 78” high x 53.5’ long)
- All rubber, fabric-reinforced rubber and metal-reinforced rubber
- Useful for prototyping & development
ATOM Flashcut die-less gasket cutting system features & benefits:
Immediately produce a prototype by uploading a CAD drawing or scanning a sample gasket into the system. The turnaround is a matter of minutes compared to the 1 - 2 week time frame traditional die cut tooling can take.
Gasket dies can cost from $100 - $1,000 depending upon the size of the gasket. Our die-less ATOM Flashcut system eliminates this cost.
Gasket "tweaks" can be performed instantly by updating the system file and without the cost and time involved with tooling modifications.
3D scanning capability enables our team to reverse engineer obsolete or unknown gaskets quickly & accurately.
- Graphite Composites
- Rubber Sheet
- Metal Gaskets
- Magnetic Sheeting
- All OEM Materials also available
Bonding & Overmolding
Proven reliable adhesive systems
Our specially formulated adhesive systems provide strong bonds that consistently withstand flexing and chemical attack found in harsh environments and operating conditions.
We Specialize in Bonding:
- Rubber-to-thermoset composites
Our team is your development resource
Our team of engineers & chemists have an extensive knowledge of?polymers, adhesive systems, films, textiles and manufacturing processes. We play an active role from initial product design, through prototyping, quality testing to parts production and end-of-program cycle management.
- Compound Development
- Custom Mixing
- Process Design
- Tooling Design
- Testing & Validation
SALES & SUPPORT
For the fastest response time, please fill out the contact form.
If you prefer to contact us directly:
rpd-rubber [at] wabtec [dot] com (subject: Wabtec%20Elastomers%20Website%20Inquiry)